Taos Initiative for Life Together (TiLT)
Host Type: Worktrade
Room and 3 Meals a Day Provided
May - End of October: live @ TiLT and divide your time between three themes:
1. High Desert Homesteading: weeding, watering, harvesting at our garden & nearby farm, food processing, adobe and earth construction
2. Community Organizing for Just Transition on issues like renewable energy, local food webs, and community-based climate activism
3. Education Support w/ Roots & Wings Community School, an innovative adventure-based k-8 public charter school in a farm & forest setting specializing in wilderness trips, multi-grade classrooms and interdisciplinary, project-based learning.
From early May to the end of October, TiLT offers a wide range of opportunities for volunteers. Depending upon your passions and proficiencies, your work will be divided between the following domains:
Work for our Food
- Work w our team at nearby Taos Village Farm, a larger-scale vegetable/dairy/meat CSA
- Work in our greenhouses: Tomatoes, basil, herbs
- Work at our backyard farm of produce suited to the high desert: corn, squash, beans, onions, potatoes, garlic
- Weekly Food Labs: grind corn, make granola, bake bread, process green chiles, make yogurt and goat cheese, dry, can, and process storables for the winter
- Intercultural food & music events for the larger community
Work on Sustainable Living Projects @ the TiLT Site
Previous and current projects at TiLT include designing and building: backyard compost bioreactors, rocket stoves, three greenhouses, constructing w home-made adobe bricks, an outdoor kitchen complex, earth plastering, a wood-fired adobe oven, a compost toilet, a solar shower, a solar food dryer, raised garden beds, a chicken coop, a wall of drought-resistant fruit shrubs, a large rainwater catchment system, two radiant-heat floors, and a flagstone plaza.
Education Support w/ Roots & Wings Community School, an innovative adventure-based k-8 public charter school
You can work two days a week, during the school year, as education support staff at Roots & Wings Community School, an innovative K-8 public charter located in a rural farm & forest setting in the mountains near Taos, NM. RWCS education brings together the head, hands and heart in adventurous, semester-long interdisciplinary Learning Expeditions.
- Community Activism
- Wilderness Exploration
- Earthen Construction
- private room
- shared rooms
- communal kitchen access
- communally cooked meals
- fast: streaming video
From Albuquerque: I-25 North to Santa Fe; exit on 599 north to by-pass Santa Fe; Hwy. 285 to Hwy. 68 to Taos.
From Denver: I-25 South to Colorado Springs to Walsenburg; Hwy. 160 to Fort Garland; Hwy. 159 and Hwy. 522 to Taos.
Register or login to contact this facilitator.
Pay with these cryptocurrencies: