The two-week Permaculture Design Course (PDC) offers training in holistic problem-solving for all aspects of human settlement, both visible and invisible. Captivated near the Corcovado rainforest we will demonstrate, explain and train you to integrate whole systems design and pattern thinking into your social, economic, land, water, plant and shelter subsystems.
Minimum 72 hours internationally recognized permaculture fundamentals curriculum, delivers the standard course originally initiated by Bill and Lisa Mollison’s Permaculture Institute (PI) recognized since 1984 by institutes around the world.
Students will learn practical applications of ecology, design for buildings, soil, water, and vegetation management, design for animals, technology, economics, urban and rural environments, and planning for catastrophe, among other subjects. Permaculture is an ethical design system. Those completing the course will receive a certificate attesting to their participation.
The PDC will be led by Nicolo Scifo. An environmental activist since youth, Nicolo brings long experience in organic farming, permaculture design and practice, construction and ecological landscaping trades together with training in the arts of psychology,(counselling and life skills coaching) of personal transformation, NVC, Sociocracy, and healthy communication to his practice of permaculture design.
He divides his time between Costa Rica and Western Canada
THE COURSE INCLUDES:
3 meals a day, made by our chef(s) from locally sourced, fresh organic foods.
At least one design project, or multiple design vignettes as the group dictates.
A Talent Show at the concluding celebration.
Field Trip to some interesting demonstration sites.
The PDC Course will be taught in English, with Spanish translators available.
Students who cannot afford the course costs may consider working with We The Trees, a permaculture crowd funding site.
Please read the following documents before attending the Permaculture Design Certification (PDC) Course 2018:
Finca Morpho's Community Living Agreements
Finca Morpho's Red-Book
Finca Morpho's Co-Creator's Agreements
THE WEEKLY FLOW
(subject to change slightly)
Students are asked to arrive on Saturday, Nov. 30, anytime earlier in the day/afternoon;
7pm Introductions.Each morning will begin with an opening session at 8:30 for review and announcements.
9:00-10:30; Evidence, Ethics, and What is Permaculture?
11:00-12:30; Pc Principles
2:30-3:30; Principles II
5:00-6:30; Patterns in Nature
9:00-10:30; Ecosystems11-12:30; Climate and Biogeography
2:30-4:15; Reading the Landscape - Team
9:00-10:30; Trees and Forests
2:30-6:00; Levelling Instruments, Earth-working Projects- Team
11:00-12:30; Home Systems, Elevations, Sectors, and Zones
2:30-3:45; Garden Practical (sheet mulch)
4:00-5:15; Garden Design, IPM, Seeds
5:30-6:30; Food & Nutrition
9:00-10:00; Bldg. Design
10:15-11:15; Bldg. Science
11:30- 12:30; Waste Treatment
2:30-3:30; Mapping I
3:15-4:15; Energy & Appropriate Technology
5:00-6:00; Fire and Catastrophe
11:30-12:30; Design Methods
2:30-3:00; Design Projects - description & selection
3:00-5:30; Site Observation
5:30- 6:00; Team reports
Day of Rest
9:00-10:30; Settlement Patterns
11:00-12:30; Urban Strategies
2:30-3:45; Mapping II
4:00-5:00; Small Animals I
5:15-6:00; Information Gathering; Interview/Analysis
9:00-10:30; Pattern Languages
11:00-12:30; Broad scale Strategies
2:30-3:30; Interview client
3:45-6 :00; Conceptual Design & short presentations -Team
9:00-10:00; Economics & Human Needs
10:15-11:15; Invisible Structures
11:30-12:30; Money & Financial Systems
2:30-4:45; Create Base Maps
5:00-6:00; Budgeting & Costs
9:00-10:30; Villages & Neighbourhoods
10:45-11:15; Presentation Skills
11:30-12:30; Team Projects
2:30-6:00; Design Projects
9:00-10:00; Earth working
10:15-11:15; Large Animals
11:30-4:00; Design Projects
4:15-6:00; Presentations (time as needed)
9:00-10:00; World Ecosystems
10:15-11:00; Making a Living
11:30-12:30; Transition, Localization, Energy Descent
2:30-4:00; Certificates, Networks, Closing Circle
- Permaculture principles applied holistically to our lives
- Off-grid community living
- Understanding of sacred geometry in nature
- Closed loop systems
- Soil building and Composting
- Water collection systems
- tent camping
- shared rooms
- private room
- communal kitchen access
- communally cooked meals
- over 80% locally sourced
- fast: streaming video
Pay with these cryptocurrencies:
Directions from San Jose International Airport -
- As you exit the airport there are bus that are the main street that go by. If you take the bus number 23 and get off next to the children's hospital you can then walk to the BLanco Lobo Station. but if you don't feel comfortable it is a 20$ taxi ride to the Blanco Lobo Station There are 2 buses that leave from the Blanco Lobo Station at the intersection of Calle 12 and Avenidas 7/9 in the Coca Cola District of San Jose. The first one leaves at 8am and the second leaves at 12pm and are around $15 dollars to Puerto Jimenez. We highly recommend using the bus system, which is a 8 hour trip that allows you to see a lot of the country. The bus will bring you to Puerto Jimenez and from here you can catch a taxi to the farm. Our address is 14km Sur de Bomba de Osa en la calla de Matapalo con puerton murado.
- There are 2 small engine airlines that also take daily trips to Puerto Jimenez. Sansa and Nature Air are at the airport and from San Jose to Puerto Jimenez it is an hour long flight.
- Driving Directions - When you are in Puerto Jimenez you follow you the only paved road till it ends and turn right at an intersection that has the Gas Station(Bomba de Osa) and a BM grocery store. From here we are 14km south on this road with a purple gate on your left and a sign that says Finca Morpho. Make sure to check your Odometer.
- If you arrive and are unable to catch one of the two buses or a airplane, then there is a cheap hostel called Hotel Cala ( 506-2441-3219) very close to airport, where you can stay for the night and arrange for a taxi early in the morning before traffic hits.
Register or login to contact this facilitator.
More experiences in Costa Rica.
February 03 - 09, 2020 @ Finca Morpho
- holistic health
- Soil Science
- community projects
- Renewable Energy
- medicinal plants
- Authentic relating
Taller de construccion y muebles en bambú
December 09 - 14, 2019 @ BAMBOO SCHOOL
- natural building
Pay with these cryptocurrencies: