The Permaculture Design Certification (PDC) Course is a two week immersion, diving deep down the rabbit hole of Permaculture. Captivated near the Corcovado rainforest we will demonstrate, explain and train you to integrate whole systems design and pattern thinking into your social, economic, land, water, plant and shelter subsystems.
This is a full 72-hour applied permaculture course that includes at least one design project or multiple design vignettes. There is no need to have attended an introduction to permaculture course prior to attending as all aspects are covered in our PDC curriculum. There will be a Talent Show on the last day and a Field Trip to some interesting demonstration sites where we will observe how locals are applying practical permaculture skills to their land. Organic local meals will be served in our community kitchen 3 times per day, where we can practice social permaculture and community development.
Finca Morpho is located in a tropical climate zone, with a jungle and beach environment to work, play and learn within. The permaculture design system, ethics and design principles learned during this PDC Course can be applied to ecosystems and zones worldwide, making your educational experience fully transferable and applicable wherever you may roam to make your home!
The Course Includes:3 meals a day, made by our chef(s) from locally sourced, fresh organic foods.
At least one design project, or multiple design vignettes as the group dictates.
A Talent Show at the concluding celebration.
Field Trip to some interesting demonstration sites.The PDC Course will be taught in English.
72-hour Permaculture Design Certification Course Outline
Students who cannot afford the course costs may consider working with We The Trees, a permaculture crowd funding site.
Please read the following documents before attending the Permaculture Design Certification (PDC) Course 2018:
Finca Morpho's Community Living Agreements
Finca Morpho's Red-Book
Finca Morpho's Co-Creator's Agreements
Daily Flow Monday through Saturday06:00 am - Yoga/Meditation
07:00 am - Morning Gathering
08:00 am - Breakfast09:00 am - Lesson A slot
10:15 am - Break
10:30 am - Lesson B slot
11:45 am - Break with Personal Reflection Time
12:30 am - Lunch
01:30 pm - Lesson C slot
02:45 pm - Break
03:00 pm - Lesson D slot
04:45 pm - Break
05:30 pm - Closing Day Reflection Circle
06:30 pm - Dinner
08:00 pm - Quiet Hours start
The weekly Flow:Monday the 14th - Arrival Day - Dinner with an Opening Ceremony on the eve of the New Moon
Tuesday the 15th - Permaculture Ethics & Principles
Lesson A : What is Permaculture?
Lesson B : Permaculture Principles
Lesson C : Design Patterns
Lesson D : Sacred Geometry in Nature
Wednesday the 16th - Soil
Lesson A : Soil Food Web
Lesson B : Swales, Berms, Hugelkultur, On Contour
Lesson C : Solid Compost
Lesson D : Liquid Compost
Thursday the 17th - Seed saving, Propagation, Pruning
Lesson A : Seed Saving
Lesson B : Other Propagation Methods
Lesson C : Pruning
Lesson D : Grafting
Friday the 18th - Water
Lesson A : Water Life Cycle
Lesson B : Importance of Water Conservation
Lesson C : Aquaponics
Lesson D : Mariculture
Saturday the 19th - Food Forest *possible trip to La Paz & Amor
Lesson A : Food Forest Explanation
Lesson B : Food Forest Example
Lesson C : Exploring Forests
Lesson D : Designing Food Forests
Sunday the 20th - Personal Day / Free Day
Monday the 21st - Design Process
Lesson A : Design Process
Lesson B : Examples of Designs
Lesson C : Personal Design Project
Lesson D : Personal Design Project
Tuesday the 22nd - Animal Management and Waste Management
Lesson A : Animals in Permaculture
Lesson B : Ethical ideals on how to deal with all the animals if we switch to veganism
Lesson C : Waste Management
Lesson D : Dealing with Trash
Wednesday the 23rd - Natural Building
Lesson A : Permaculture Methodology
Lesson B : Natural Building and Design
Lesson C : Cob basics Workshop
Lesson D : Bamboo Basics Workshop:
Thursday the 24th - Power and Technology
- Lesson A : What is Electricity and the Basics behind AC and DC power systems
- Lesson B : Alternative Energy
- Lesson C : Appropriate Technology
- Lesson D : Digital Technology in Permaculture
- Lesson A : Climate Zones
- Lesson B : Plants for the different Climates
- Lesson C : Appropriate Practices
- Lesson D : Personal Project Time
- Lesson A : Project Planning Aspects
- Lesson B : Law
- Lesson C : Business Planning
- Lesson D : Marketing
Monday the 28th - Community
- Lesson A : The biggest part of Permaculture Community
- Lesson B : The power of community
- Lesson C : Authentic Relating
- Lesson D : Importance of knowing thyself
- Off-grid Community Living
- Understanding of Sacred Geometry in Nature
- Trash Management Explantation
- AC/DC Power basics
- Aquaponics project
- Black Solider Fly Larva Composting Toilet system
- Permaculture Principles applied holistically to our lives
- shared rooms
- tent camping
- entire house
- communal kitchen access
- over 80% locally sourced
- fast: streaming video
- breathwork1-2 times per week
- nutrition/cooking1-2 times per week
- dance1-2 times per week
- meditation3-5 times per week
- plant medicine1-2 times per week
- surfing1-2 times per week
Directions from San Jose International Airport -
- As you exit the airport there are bus that are the main street that go by. If you take the bus number 23 and get off next to the children's hospital you can then walk to the BLanco Lobo Station. but if you don't feel comfortable it is a 20$ taxi ride to the Blanco Lobo Station There are 2 buses that leave from the Blanco Lobo Station at the intersection of Calle 12 and Avenidas 7/9 in the Coca Cola District of San Jose. The first one leaves at 8am and the second leaves at 12pm and are around $15 dollars to Puerto Jimenez. We highly recommend using the bus system, which is a 8 hour trip that allows you to see a lot of the country. The bus will bring you to Puerto Jimenez and from here you can catch a taxi to the farm. Our address is 14km Sur de Bomba de Osa en la calla de Matapalo con puerton murado.
- There are 2 small engine airlines that also take daily trips to Puerto Jimenez. Sansa and Nature Air are at the airport and from San Jose to Puerto Jimenez it is an hour long flight.
- Driving Directions - When you are in Puerto Jimenez you follow you the only paved road till it ends and turn right at an intersection that has the Gas Station(Bomba de Osa) and a BM grocery store. From here we are 14km south on this road with a purple gate on your left and a sign that says Finca Morpho. Make sure to check your Odometer.
- If you arrive and are unable to catch one of the two buses or a airplane, then there is a cheap hostel called Hotel Cala ( 506-2441-3219) very close to airport, where you can stay for the night and arrange for a taxi early in the morning before traffic hits.
Register or login to contact this facilitator.
More experiences in Costa Rica.
Rewild: Costa Rica Nature & Yoga Retreat
March 24 - 30, 2019 @ Punta Mona Center for Regenerative Design and Botanical Studies
- medicinal plants
- holistic health
Permaculture Design Course
October 28 - November 11, 2018 @ Finca Tierra
- Water Systems
- Renewable Energy
- Soil Science
- natural building
- medicinal plants