We have a high school, and we are currently expanding our community development efforts to include free English and culture classes. Volunteers can help organize an activity at school and teach English to high school students and community members. There are many opportunities for creative and motivated volunteers to start new classes or workshops and help develop our tours and processes of our space.
This is a self-sustaining project supported by numerous associations, which helps students in humble areas obtain an appropriate education and degree.
The school is joint to a hostel, where the volunteers can be accommodated. Our amenities include wifi, kitchen facilities, hot showers, a barbecue deck... We are well known for our beautiful garden with stunning views of Lake Atitlan.
The main income to keep this educative center running comes from the hostel.
Volunteers must have at least a conversational level of Spanish, since the administration team has limited English. Volunteers must also master English.
The hostel doors closes at 10.00pm; if a late night entry is necessary, advise beforehand.
We are looking for some help in the following areas:
- Teach English classes to the students (aged between 14-20), usually 2h/day
- Help with the activities of the hostel (reception, maintenance, promotion, cleaning, gardening, tours…)
- Web page designer, web promotion of the hostel
- Translator for some office work
- Various eco project on the volunteers’s initiative (see below)
Project idea that we would like to develop:
- Use a part of the big garden to install a vegetable garden. As of now there is no sorting of wastes in Santiago Atitlan. We could then use our organic wastes from the kitchen to produce compost for the vegetable garden. A plus would be to build an educative program related to school around bio-agriculture & eco sustainability.
We are looking for volunteers who can commit for 3 to 6 months (or more) in order to have a continuity in the English lessons; a 2 months commitment is however negotiable.
Size of project site
People on site
5 - 25
October to April
June to September
- shared rooms
- private room
- communal kitchen access
- medium: voice calls (no video)
Centro Santiaguito is currently offering the following opportunities:
- Bio agriculture/permaculturr skills to start a vegetable garden project
- English teacher for local teenagers with beginner level
Contact Centro Santiaguito
Register or login to contact this center.